This guide is intended for Blackboard-Ultra users and describes how to use the Kaltura Tools.
Note: The tools available may vary and depend on your administrator's setup configuration. In some cases, the tools may have a different name or may not be available.
[collapsed title="Using the Kaltura Tools"]
Using the Kaltura Tools
This section describes how to use the following Kaltura tools in your Blackboard Ultra environment:
- Kaltura My-Media
- Kaltura Media Gallery
- Kaltura Browse Search & Embed (BSE)
- Kaltura Video Quiz (VQ) Gradebook Integration
- On the Blackboard side bar, select Tools, then select the Kaltura My Media link.
For information on how to use My Media, see the article My Media - Upload/Add Media.
Kaltura Media Gallery
The Kaltura Media Gallery is private to the course you are in. Everyone enrolled in that course can see what’s published to the Media Gallery. Multiple people in the course can contribute to the Media Gallery depending on the way the admin setup the course.
Enabling the Kaltura Media Gallery depends on your administrator's settings and should be set up by faculty or an administrator that is configuring your site.
To add the Media Gallery tool to your course as a Course Tool
- In your course, click on the Books & Tools menu.
- Locate the Kaltura Media Gallery. (The name may vary.)
- Click on the logo or the entire placement to launch the Media Gallery Tool directly from here.
You may see a small “+” (plus) sign next to the tool. The Plus sign indicates that your administrator has allowed access to the Media Gallery Tool for students as well. Click on the the plus sign to add the Media gallery directly to the course content page or notify your students that they can reach the Media Gallery from the Books & Tools menu.
To add the Media Gallery tool to your course as a Course Content Tool
- In your course, click on a “+” (plus) in the Course Content area.
- Click on the Content Market.
- Locate the Kaltura Media Gallery (name may vary) in the Institution Tools.
- Click the plus sign to add it to the course OR launch the tool directly from here.
Browse Search and Embed
For information about how to use the Kaltura Browse Search and Embed feature see the articles on Browse Search and Embed.
You can Embed content in two ways:
To embed a video in a course content
- Navigate to the desired course.
- Open the “Course Content” section, and locate the “+” sign to create a new content item:
- Click the “+” sign, and navigate to the Content Market.
- Locate the Browse Search and Embed (BSE) Tool within the Content Market. (Note: The embed tool may have a different name than the one indicated in the image).
- Click to launch the tool and select your media.The result is displayed on the Course Content page:
- Click on the link to show the video and then click play.
To embed a video in a Document within the Course Content
- Navigate to the desired course.
- Open the “Course Content” section and navigate to the document.
- Click the “+” sign in the editor and choose the “Insert/Edit LTI Item”.
- Locate the Browse Search and Embed (BSE) tool within the Content Market. (Note: The embed tool may have a different name than the one indicated in the image).
- Click to launch the tool and select your media. The embedded content will be displayed on the document:
- Save your changes.
Create Video Quiz (VQ) and connect Gradebook Integration
- Log in to Blackboard Ultra and go to the My-Media Tool.
- Create a Video Quiz (VQ) using the Kaltura Video Tools Editor. See the Kaltura Video Quiz Guide for Creating Quizzes for information about creating a quiz.
- When your quiz is finalized, go to the Course Content, and click the ‘+’ sign.
- Choose the Content Market.
- Locate the Kaltura Video Quiz Tool .(The name may vary, depending on the administrator's setup.)
- Filter the content of My-Media by selecting to filter by ‘Quiz’.
- Click ‘Embed’ to select your quiz. The quiz will display on the course page.
- Click on the 3 dots (Actions menu) to edit the new placement and Save.
When editing, you can edit the Name, Maximum points and Due date.
- Save your changes.
To check the quiz results
- Navigate to the Grades section on the top right menu in the course. (This may also be reached through the main Blackboard navigation “Grades” tab).
- Change the view to see the grades.
Additional information about Kaltura Interactive Video Quizzes can be found here.
[collapsed title="Additional Features that Apply to a Single Media"]
Additional Features that Apply to a Single Media
- Search, Filter and Display Media - use to search for content, use the filters, and other options.
- Managing Media - Editing Entries - use to edit and manage your media amd metadata.
- Actions Menu - use to delete, edit, launch editor and other actions
- Kaltura Video Editing Tools - use to create and edit quizzes, clips, trim media, chop and splice media and other editing options
- Sharing and Embedding Media
[collapsed title="Additional Features that Apply to the Kaltura Media Gallery"]
Additional Features that Apply to the Kaltura Media Gallery
- The Kaltura Media Gallery
- Adding Media to the Kaltura Media Gallery
- Publishing Media
- Creating Playlists within the Media Gallery
- Media Gallery Analytics
[collapsed title="Other Features"]
- Webcasts - use to orchestrate highly produced live streaming events to large audiences.