By default, users with Teacher role in a Canvas course can manage the course Media Gallery. As the manager, you can perform actions that other users enrolled to the course cannot.
These actions include:
- Configuring settings and setting the description for the Media Gallery
- Moderating the content added to the Media Gallery
- Removing content from the Media Gallery
- Access the Media Gallery Analytics page
NOTE: By default a Teaching Assistant in Canvas is a Media Gallery moderator and can moderate content added to the Media Gallery.
All users enrolled to the course can:
- View approved content
- Browse and search the Media Gallery
- Add Media (pending the instructor’s moderation)
- Remove media they have added
Edit a Media Gallery Configuration and Metadata (Available to Course Instructors)
- In the Media Gallery, select Edit from the Actions drop down menu.
The Edit Media Gallery Page is displayed.
- (Optional) Enter a description and tags for the Media Gallery of the course.
- Moderate content (Media will not appear in Media Gallery until approved by the gallery manager) – Determines whether content should be moderated.
- Enable comments in Media Gallery – Determines whether comments should be enabled in the gallery.
- Keep comments private to Media Gallery - If checked, all comments added to media in Media Gallery will be private to the Media Gallery and will not appear elsewhere (except for the My Media page of the user who owns the media).
- Display embedded media in this Media Gallery - XXX
4. Click Save.
Moderating Channel Content
Teachers and Teaching Assistants may approve or reject content from the Media Gallery.
To approve and reject content that is pending moderation
- In the Media Gallery, click on the Pending tab.
NOTE: If there are no media items pending moderation, the Pending tab is not displayed.
- The browse pending media window is displayed.
- Click on the thumbnail to view the media.
- Click Approve or Reject for a specific media item
You can also check multiple media items and click Approve or Reject on the top (View All media) for bulk approving or rejecting.
NOTE: Approved content is displayed in the Media Gallery for all users enrolled to the course.