Kaltura has partnered with Canvas to offer an out-of-the-box extension that enables you to view, record, upload, publish, search, and share video directly from your Canvas environment. This translates into time and money saved for your organization, improved student engagement, creativity and learning results, as well as ease of use for students, faculty and teaching assistants.
Main Features and Tools
Upload and Record
- Easy Video Uploading - Upload any type of media (video, audio, images) using a simple interface.
- Create webcam videos - Welcome messages, introductions, assignment instructions, simple demonstrations, and other webcam media.
- Screen Recording – Easily record the screen, along with audio and webcam feeds, to create and publish screencasts. Instructors and students can record and share lectures, presentations, software tutorials, and additional screencasts.
Organize and Share
- My Media – Upload, manage, assign, and share content (based on permissions) with a private media library for each Canvas user.
- Course Gallery – Search or view rich media assigned to a course if you are a member. Media can be added by instructors or students, with an option for student contributions moderation by instructors.
- Rich-text editor integration: Intuitively use rich media without time-consuming training, simply click on the “Embed Kaltura Media” link from within any rich-text editor in Canvas.
View and Interact
- The Kaltura Player:
- Customize the player - functionality, features and display.
- Configure once use everywhere - mobile, tablet, PC, TV.
- Open Standards, Open Source.
- Files are transcoded for Web, HD, or Mobile Delivery across various devices and platforms. Player auto detects device and platform and adjusts the playback using adaptive bitrate technology.
- Playback supporting both Flash and HTML5 for mobile, with automated fall back.
- Accessibility - Supports playback with ADA/508 compliant player.
- Responsive Design: Automatically adjusts site layout to the screen size and device to provide optimal mobile device support.
- Captions - Upload multi-lingual captions to reach international, multi-lingual, and hearing-impaired audiences while also enabling in-video search within the captions.
- Comments - Boost online conversations and user engagement by allowing users to comment on videos.
- Search - Quickly find videos based on metadata (name, description, tags, categories)
- In-video search – Upload captions and then search for every spoken word. Search results allow skipping directly to the relevant part in the video. In-video search available within an entry or across videos in the course gallery/my media gallery.