The Kaltura Webcasting Self-serve feature simplifies the work required to setup a Kaltura Webcasting event. Kaltura Self-serve Webcasting removes the needs for expensive equipment (cameras, encoders, switchers, etc) and production teams, making Webcasting available and simple for every employee. The Kaltura Self-serve infra (WebRTC stack) paves the way to support multiple presenters, and multiple locations, leveraging webcasting to many additional use cases.
Kaltura Self-serve Webcasting Capabilities
- Allows broadcasting video directly from the Kaltura Webcasting application, using integrated/USB PC/Mac webcams/cameras and microphones (without the need to use an external HW/SW encoder).
- Allows broadcasting audio-only directly from the Kaltura Webcasting application, using integrated/USB PC/Mac microphones (without the need to use an external HW/SW encoder).
- Allows screencasting (instead of webcam), allowing sharing of desktop/application screen to support more use-cases and create even more engaging live experiences.
- Provides the ability for the producer/presenter that is not broadcasting to have a real time preview of the event that is currently broadcasting. For more information, see the article Presenter Real Time Preview.
Kaltura Self-serve Webcasting Global Settings
Kaltura Self-serve Webcasting must be enabled by your administrator. See the Kaltura Webcasting Administrator's Guide for configuration information.
Analytics for Kaltura Self-served Webcasting (the number of self-served events, peak concurrency and number of minutes used) are available.
The following capabilities are available:
- Configuration tab -a user may select the video source (list of local webcams and screens) and audio source (with Volume Unit meter indication).
Audio Selection (microphone)
- Real-time preview of the video/audio - Kaltura Self-serve Webcasting typically uses a webcam, with a display of what is being broadcasted, The preview window may be minimized and expanded using the Self-Serve icon.
There are two types of previews:
- Local Preview – allows you to see the output from the camera locally on your computer
- Kaltura Broadcasting Preview – shows you the preview after it’s been tunneled through the Kaltura platform giving you the real out put.
- Allows screencast (sharing your screen) - when enabling this option, a user may choose what they want to share - you can share your entire desktop or a specific application (e.g. browser/powerpoint/etc)
- When the screencast is on, the webcam is automatically off (both cannot be streamed simultaneously) and the layout is automatically changed to focus on the screen only.
- Enable and configure the Kwebcast Module. See the Kaltura Webcasting Administrator's Guide.
- Enable and Configure Kaltura Webcasting Self-serve.
- Create a Webcasting Event.
- Edit the Webcasting Event.
- Install/Launch the Kaltura Webcasting Application.
- Manage Slide Broadcast.
- Setup for Broadcast.