Activating Kaltura Webcasting in Kaltura MediaSpace or in your KAF Instance.
Kaltura Webcasting is managed by Kaltura MediaSpace system administrators in the Admin area accessed from <Base_URL>/admin. Kaltura Webcasting can also be enabled via the KAF admin console in the same manner. If you do not see the Kwebcast module, contact your account manager.
The configuration page dedicated to Webcasting is accessed from the Configuration Management page from the menu on the right under the category, ModulesCustom/core sub-category Kwebcast.
To configure the Kwebcast module in KMS or in the KAF Admin Console
- Login to Kaltura MediaSpace or the KAF Admin Console and go to the Configuration Management window.
- Scroll down and click the Kwebcast module in the ModulesCustom/core section.
The Webcasting Administration page is displayed.
- In the Enabled field, select Yes to enable the Kwebcast module.
- Select or enter values for the relevant fields and click Save.
Enable the Kwebcast module.
Define the applicationName. This configuration value is passed to the webcast application. If left empty the default value is used. Configure this field to brand the application with a specific name. Leave empty for Kaltura branding.
Define the applicationLogoUrl. Provide the URL to a logo image which is passed to the webcast application. If left empty the default logo is used. The logo size should be 156x78 pixels. Add a URL to an image if you would like to brand the application with a company's logo. The logo will replace the Kaltura logo on the top left corner of the application. Leave empty for Kaltura default branding.
Enable DVR for Webcast Events. Disable this field for Self-serve Webcasting.
This list of transcoding profiles is taken from the Kaltura Management Console and is based on the available transcoding profiles there. The transcoding profile is applied to all webcast events created after this field is set. You cannot change previous entries’ transcoding profiles here. See the article Adaptive Bit Rate Settings for more information. Use passthrough if you are NOT using live transcoding (aka live +). Select a different option if you're looking to perform cloud transcoding.
Limit Webcast Event creation to a certain user or user role. If a role is selected, any role with higher permissions than the role selected will be allowed to create Webcast Events.
This value is automatically assigned by the system upon save. A specific instance of the application will be added to the PID. This is the ID of the UIConf for the Windows Kwebcast application.
This value is automatically assigned by the system upon save. A specific instance of the application will be added to the PID.This is the ID of the UIConf for the Mac Kwebcast application
Determine whether to allow self-serve scenario. This field is a beta feature. Contact your Kaltura representative to enable this feature for you.
Select users who are allowed to launch self-serve Webcast Events.
This value is automatically assigned by the system upon save. This is the UIConf for the player used for Webcasting events. To create a customized player for webcasting events, you can create a new player in the studio and update the configuration here. Note that all webcasting plugins must be enabled on the player to ensure slide sync and Q&A availability.
This value is automatically assigned by the system upon save. This is the ID of the UIConf for the BSE Kwebcast player. This field is only relevant for KAF administrators. See the article Using the Browse Search and Embed (BSE) Feature for more information.To create a customized player for webcasting events, you can create a new player in the studio and update the configuration here. Note that all webcasting plugins must be enabled on the player to ensure slide sync and Q&A availability. This player ID will be used in the KAF module for BSE.
Enable auto-playing video previews inside the carousel on the Webcasts Homepage
Enable or disable running moderated Q&A sessions during live webcasts. This option should be enabled to display the Moderator View when Webcasting Moderators are assigned.
Enable polls during webcast events.
Select which fields should appear in the search.
Define whether the webcasting event should automatically start when the encoder starts broadcasting video, or to explicitly start the webcasting event after previewing the stream.
Enables webcasting scheduling and the webcasting calendar view. This allows webcasting administrator(s) to see/edit all partner events on a calendar, define resources and projected audience size. After enabled, you will need to assign specific users as webcast administrators. Note: Group collaboration (MediaCollaboration > allowGroupsCollaboration) should be enabled for this feature to work properly.
Select specific users who are event admins. All added users will be able to see and edit all past and future events, including events not created by them.
Download Resources List. Export the current list of resources (rooms,cameras,encoders,etc).
Upload a resource definition file (.csv). See example format here.
Upload an image to replace the default thumbnail for webcast entries. Suggested image size is 1140×672 pixels.
Whether to allow Video Conference Integration scenario. See the article Kaltura Video Conference Integration V1 for more information.
Who can launch video conference integrations from Webcast Events? if a role is selected, any role above it will also be able to launch video conference integrations from Webcast Events.
Enable thumbnail image rotation on mouse over in the Webcast homepage.
Contact your Kaltura representative to enable the Kaltura Webcasting Self-serve feature for your account. After the relevant Webcasting features are configured in the Kwebcast module, configure the Webcasting Self-serve fields as described here.
To configure Serf-serve Webcasting
- Select Yes in the SupportSelfServed field to enable Self-serve Webcasting.
y enabling the SupportSelfServed field, you automatically enable the Preview Live mode (autoStartEventOnBroadcast). The Go Live button will be displayed in the KMS/Webcasting application to click to actually Go Live.
- In the allowedSelfServedUsers section click (+ Add "allowedSelfServedUsers").
- Select the users that will be entitled to use Kaltura Self-serve Webcasting. Click "Select Users" and type in the user name or id. Click Submit.
- Repeat for multiple users.
- Click Save.
Be certain that you have included yourself in the Webcasting permissions to verify that the module is enabled.
- Login to Kaltura MediaSpace or your KAF based application.
- Select Add New.
Webcast Event should display as one of the Add New options.
The KMS Webcast page, also known as the Kaltura Webcasting Events Portal, enables you to view the current, upcoming and recorded events, depending on the events the user is allowed to join.
To add the page for the Webcast Events Portal in the KMS
- Log into Kaltura MediaSpace or the KAF Administration Console and go to the Configuration Management window.
- Scroll down and in the Global section, click the Navigation module:
- Add the following configuration to the Pre or Post section:
Use the value http://<kms URL>/kwebcast (for example: http://webcastdemo.mediaspace.kaltura.com/kwebcast).
If you want to assign moderators for the Webcasting Event, see Preparing for a Webcasting Event - Assign the Webcast Moderators.
If you want to display and monitor your stream's health and see a preview mode before going live, set the autoStartEventOnBroadcast to No. For more information about the Preview Live feature, see the article about Preview Live.
The Kaltura Webcasting Calendar is managed by KMS system administrators in the Kwebcast Module. When activated, the Webcasting Calendar view is presented. You can view, add and modify Kaltura Webcasting events in the Webcasting Calendar.To enable and configure the Kaltura Webcasting Calendar
- Select Yes in the liveSchedulingEnabled field.
- Set the allowedGroupsCollaboration to Yes in the MediaCollaboration Module.
- Set up the roles and admins that are allowed to schedule and modify Kaltura Webcasting events.
- Set up the resources to use for scheduling (e.g. rooms, cameras, encoders, etc)
The time zone for the Kaltura Webcasting Scheduling feature is determined based on the time zone setting under the Application Module.
Every organization has Webcasting administrators that are resposnsible for scheduling and managing Webcasting events. When you enable the liveSchedulingEnabled field, you should define the Webcasting Admininistrator(s). Each Webcasting Admin can see and edit all the organization's webcasts (not only their own webcasts). The Webcasting Admins defined in the Kwebcast module must have admin privileges for KMS.It's important to differentiate between the following permission types:
- Webcast Creators - Users who are allowed to create webcast events (defined under “liveBroadcasterRole” in Kwebcast admin settings). These users do not have access to the Kaltura Webcasting Calendar and can only edit webcasts they created (or that they are defined for as co-editors)
- Webcast Administrators - Users who are Webcasting admins (defined under “liveSchedulingEnabled” in Kwebcast admin settings) – Webcast Admins can see/edit all webcasts in the organization and have access to the Webcast Calendar view.
To set Webcasting Administrators
- Enable live scheduling by choosing "Yes" on the “liveBroadcasterRole” field.
- In the admins section, assign specific users that will have admin permissions to schedule events.
Click Select Users
Enter a user name. Only users that are available on your KMS/KAF instance that have admin permissions may be added. You can use the auto-complete function (from 3rd letter and on).
Click +Add admins to add additional admins.
[collapsed title="Webcasting Admins Group Information"]
Webcasting Admins Group Permissions
Users in the Webcasting Admins Group (admins that are defined in the Kwebcast Module) have the following permissions:
- Access to the My Calendar button
- Ability to view all Webcasting events in the system (past and future and all types of events)
- Editing or deleting any Webcasting event in the system. (including events not created by the current logged in user)
- Adding events to the system
Adding a User to the Webcasting Admins Group
When an admin is added to the in the Kwebcast Module admins section, they are automatically added to the Webcasting Admins Group.
Removing an Admin from the Webcasting Admins Group
When an admin is removed from the Kwebcast Module admin permissions, they are automatically removed from the Webcasting Admins Group and the admin will no longer have permission to view and edit all events.
Resources in the Kaltura Webcasting Calendar are mapped to capture locations and devices. Each location and capture device has a unique resource in Kaltura. To better understand how this works, you can imagine booking a conference room using Outlook. The room is defined as a resource and can be added to the calendar invite in order to reserve it. Similarly, a capture device is added as a resource to an event. Adding a resource to an event defines which capture device should be recorded at this time.
To upload a resources file
- In the manageResources field click Upload a resource definition file (.csv) The list should contain all available resources for recording, the device name, and the device location.
To view the resources that are currently defined in the system.
- In the exportResources field click Download the existing Resources list.
To verify that the Webcasting Calendar is activated
- Login to KMS.
My Calendar should display in the User Login drop down menu.