This article provides an overview of the requirements for and methods to use Kaltura Video Quiz (VQ) in such a way that a student's results are transferred to the Brightspace by D2L Gradebook. Please note that the following screenshots are using Brightspace by D2L's new Daylight theme. There are two ways to integrate Kaltura Video Quiz with the Brightspace by D2L Gradebook. You can either configure the integration through Quicklink or through the Insert Stuff Tool.
Before you start performing the tasks described in this article, please make sure you have a Kaltura Application Framework (KAF) instance URL, for example, 12345678.kaf.kaltura.com containing the follow enabled modules: Ltigrading, Browseandembed.
Other modules should already be available from your initial deployment, please see Kaltura Video App for Brightspace by D2L Deployment Guide for more information.
If you do not have a KAF instance URL, please reach out to your Kaltura representative.
If you already have a KAF instance, but cannot find the “Ltigrading” module, you can either contact the Kaltura Customer Care team or your Project Manager (if you are still in a project mode), and ask them to add it to your KAF instance.
Integrating the Brightspace by D2L Gradebook Through Insert Stuff
Add Existing Activities vs. Embedding via Insert Stuff
There are two different methods that can be used to provide students with a Kaltura VQ in a way that will create a connection to the Brightspace by D2L Gradebook. One involves using the "Add Existing Activities" dropdown menu to add the VQ as its own topic in a module. The other involves using Insert Stuff to embed the Kaltura VQ anywhere Insert Stuff is available. Each method has its pros and cons as outlined in the following table. These pros and cons are based on how Brightspace by D2L handles interactions with external tool providers like Kaltura.
Embed in Brightspace asset
Add Exiting Activities
Embedding via Insert Stuff
Can Designate VQ Grade Item Point Value Ahead of Time
Grade Item Appears in Gradebook Immediately
|Kaltura VQ appears in context with other content on the page||NO||YES|
Maximum points default of 100 can be changed before first student submits.
"Exclude from Final Grade Calculation" default value
Kaltura IVQ location
Within Content Tool
1 - Will appear immediately if grade item is associated with the topic during creation/setup
2 - Grade item will not appear until at least one student has successfully submitted their VQ score
[collapsed title="Method 01 - Add Existing Activities"]
Method 01 - Add Existing Activities
- Navigate to the Content tool in D2L Brightspace.
- Click Add Existing Activities and then Add Kaltura Media (NOTE: The title for inserting Kaltura media is unique to every installation and may have a different title in your installation).
- The Add Activity windows appears. In this window you can either select a previously existing Video Quiz (2) or create a new one using the Add New menu (1). If you decide to make a new VQ, please see Kaltura Video Quizzes Guide for Creating Quizzes for instructions.
- To make it easier to select an existing Video Quiz, use the Filters menu to narrow your results down to just quizzes.
- Click Select for the VQ you want to embed.
- Navigate into the topic you just created by clicking on its title. The topic title will be the same as the name of the Interactive Video Quiz.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and use the Assessment area to create a new D2L Grade Item or associate with an existing Grade Item.
[collapsed title="Method 02 - Embedding via Insert Stuff"]
Method 02 - Embedding via Insert Stuff
NOTE: Using this method, the grade item will not appear in the Brightspace by D2L Gradebook until at least one student submits their VQ. Once it is submitted, the grade item will have a default maximum points of 100 and will be excluded from final grade calculation. Changing the maximum points after students have already submitted DOES NOT scale the students score. For example, a student submits their VQ and gets a 60/100. The instructor then modifies the maximum points to 50. The student will now have 50/50 and not 30/50.
- Navigate any area in D2L that has a text editor with the Insert Stuff button e.g. a file (topic in the Content tool), discussions, etc. For the purposes of this article we will use a file being created as a topic in the Content tool.
- Click New and Create a File.
- Click the Insert Stuff icon.
- Click Insert Kaltura Media (NOTE: The title for inserting Kaltura media is unique to every installation and may have a different title in your installation).
- (Optional) You can now filter to select the Interactive Video Quiz you want to embed as in Step 4 in Method 1. To embed, click the Select button for the VQ you want to embed.
- After publishing and after the first student takes the interactive video quiz, the grade item will appear in the gradebook.
[collapsed title="Change the Grade's Weight"]
- Navigate to the course ‘Grades’ tab and choose the sub tab ‘Manage Grades’.
- Locate the Kaltura quiz you added, and click on it.
- Change the weight and save.
NOTE: You might get the following note about “'Final Calculated Grade' sums to 120%, not 100%. Verify that the total weight of all top level categories and items is 100%.”. Adjust the other grades accordingly, or change the 'Final Calculated Grade' to allow “Exceed”.