Before you Begin
KMS GO is not accessible to native apps by default. Your KMS administrator must enable the KMS GO app and set it up before you can start using it.
Be certain that KMS GO has been enabled by your Kaltura MediaSpace administrator.
Download KMS GO
- Download the Kaltura MediaSpace GO app from the Google Play Store.
- Open the app on your Android device.
Be certain to download the KMS GO app and not the legacy KMS App.
Login to KMS GO
- Enter your site’s address. Note that “https://“ is required to be entered before the site address. Following the figure below.
- Select whether to use the app as a Guest, OR Login for a richer experience:
- Log In – GO to “My Page” by tapping the person icon on the top left on the Home Page.
- Tap LOGIN.
- Enter your credentials.
Logging into the Kaltura Demo Site
You might also want to check out the Kaltura demo site.
- Go to the following URL;https://corporatetube.mediaspace.kaltura.com/
- LOGIN to “My Page” the following figure:
The KMS GO homepage is initially displayed with the following (Figure below):
- The “My Page” icon – Links to your personal area and app settings.
- App’s main gallery displayed
- Additional galleries
- App Bottom Navigation Bar:
- Home – returns you to the homepage.
- Inspire me - Fun way to get inspired and discover media based on a time frame.
- Search & Browse – Opens the KMS GO powerful search tool and browsing options. For more information, see Searching and Browsing Through Media.
The homepage display depends on your KMS administrator’s configuration settings and may be reconfigured.
If you have KMS admin privileges, please see the Kaltura MediaSpace GO (KMS GO) Mobile Application Admin Guide where, you can find customization details and instructions on how to set up KMS GO and reconfigure your homepage.
Your homepage may look different from the Kaltura KMS GO demo page.
Media Discovery and Interaction
Media discovery starts on your KMS GO home page. You can browse the gallery by swiping horizontally or tapping on a gallery name for vertical scrolling.The following figure shows an example of the vertical display of selected media item on your gallery.
While on the vertical view, media Quick Actions are available by swiping horizontally, either to the left or the right.
The Quick Actions that are available here are:
Downloading media (when allowed by your administrator), can be accessed and performed from a vertical view of a gallery or via a media page.
The downloaded media is displayed on your device as well as under the “My Downloads” section (figure below) on your homepage.
On the vertical gallery view, you can use the following Quick Actions:
- Swipe the selected media to the left.
- Click on the Download (cloud) icon.
- Abort downloading by tapping on the cloud icon (note that the icon has an “x” in it).
- Media that was downloaded can be deleted from your device by tapping on the Download icon by using Quick Action swipe or on the Media Page.
You can also download media directly from the Media Page by tapping on the cloud icon on the top right corner.
Watch Later Playlist
When configured by your administrator, the Watch Later playlist is a quick and easy way to set aside a video for later viewing.
To Add or Remove Media to the Watch Later Playlist
You can add or remove from the Watch Later Playlist from any gallery or playlist view and media page.
From the Gallery or Playlist
- Swipe the selected media to the left.
- Click on the Watch Later (clock) icon to add or remove from the playlist.
The video is now added or removed from the Watch Later playlist . Go to Watch Later section to view changes.
From the Media Page
- Select the content.
- Click on the Ellipse (…).
- From the detail’s menu select, Save to Watch Later (Clock Icon) to add content to playlist. To remove select, Added to Watch Later List (Clock Icon).
To View the Watch Later Playlist
Click on the My Profile Page.
- Select the Watch Later (clock icon) to access the playlist.
Note: From here you can remove content from the Watch Later Playlist by swiping left and clicking the clock icon.
Viewing My History and Resume Playback (Continue Watching) Media
When configured by your administrator, My History is accessed from My Page and displays videos that you have viewed while signed in This includes videos that you have watched while signed in to the KMS app or browser on a mobile device. Changes you make to your account history will appear on all devices you sign in to using your account. Scroll down to My History and tap More to open up the videos that were viewed.The following figure:
When configured by your administrator, Continue Watching is accessed from the Home Page and displays videos that you have partially viewed while signed in This includes videos that you have watched while signed in to the KMS app or browser on a mobile device. Scroll down to Continue Watching and tap More to open up the videos that were partially viewed. The following figure:
The video progress bar makes it easy to see where you left off the last time you watched a video. When you stop viewing a video before finishing the entire video, a progress bar under the video thumbnail shows you where you left off. When you play the video again, the video restarts from where you left off.
When you play a partially watched video, playback resumes from where you left off (figure below). There are cases where the video will restart if your administrator set the video’s ending to a different time to be considered “Finished”.
Liking and Sharing Media
On the gallery vertical view, use Quick Actions and swipe the selected media to the right.
- Tap on the heart icon to Like.
- Tap on the share icon to Share.
- Select either Email or Copy (figure below).
You can also like and share media from the media page. See Media Page for more information.
Commenting on Media
You can comment, reply and participate in a discussion about a media from the Media Page. The following figures
To comment on a media item
- Access the Media Page by tapping on the media thumbnail.
- Tap on Comments and enter a comment (figure below).
- Tap Post.
- To reply to an existing comment, tap “Reply”.
All media discovery and actions are subject to entitlements defined by your KMS admin. Your administrator may or may not have enabled commenting.
KMS GO offers a powerful unified keyword search(figure below).The search can be performed on the following:
Search Results Screen
The search results are presented in a magazine-style display. The “Matches” section contains media that are best fitted to your search criteria.If there are channels that satisfy your search criteria, they are displayed . The following figure:
Sorting and Filtering through Search Matches
You can sort and filter your search results by clicking on the filter icon in the top right corner of the search results page. The following figure:
The search results can be sorted by:
- Most recent
You can select what types of media should be included in your search by choosing from:
- All Media
You can specify whether to extend the search to the content of the media itself. The search can be extended to:
To show how the rendered media is related to your query
If you would like to know why a certain media was returned in the search results:
- On the search results screen, tap on one of the rendered thumbnails.
- You will see your keyword highlighted (figure below) in all the relevant data related to your media (according to your selected filters).
Saving a Search
Your search can be saved by clicking on the star near your keywords in the search window (figure below). You can use the saved search later or un-save it by clicking on the blue star on the saved searches screen when it is no longer needed.
To access your saved KMS GO searches
- Tap on the magnifying glass in the main bottom navigation bar and then tap on the search field to access the saved searches screen (Figure above)
Searching and Browsing Through Media
Searching and browsing can be accessed by tapping on the magnifying glass icon on the bottom part of your main navigation bar. You can also use the search screen to browse through your channels (for logged-in users) and categories.
The Browsing menu that includes channels and categories is displayed below the search area. (figure displayed in the KMS GO Search section)
Only logged in users can browse channels.
For additional information about channels vs categories, please refer to the article on the Knowledge Center Understanding Categories and Channels in Kaltura MediaSpace.
Every channel in KMS GO has a dedicated channel page, where you can see:
- All the media in the channel
- Number of the channel’s members
- Number of the channel’s subscribers
To access a channel page
- Tap on “Channels” from your browsing screen,
- tap on a specific channel from your search results . The following figures:
To see more detailed information about the channel
- Tap on the Information icon on the top right of the channel page.
You can see the (following figure):
- Channel description
- List of categories this channel appears in
- List of channel managers
Every media has its dedicated page. In addition to the media itself, this Media Page contains the following information:
- Media owner
- Publish date
- Number of views
- Description Tags
- Custom metadata
- Number of comments
- Number of likes
You can perform the following actions from this page (figure below):
- Tap to play the video
- Rotate the device to enter the full screen view
- Download the media (for videos)
- Add to Watch Later
The availability of some of these items is subject to entitlements defined by your KMS admin.
Create and Upload Media
The Upload icon is located on the bottom right of the KMS GO Home page.
The following figure:
Use the Upload icon to add media from your existing photos, or to create media using your Android device camera to upload to KMS GO.
To create/upload content
- Start from the Home page.
- Tap the Upload icon to begin the upload process. Depending on your configuration you may be required to login.
You can choose to Upload existing media from the device's Photos gallery, or to create media using your device's Camera.
- Select where you want to upload media from.
- Tap on the video you want to upload. The video is displayed in a new screen with the trim tool.
- (Optional) You can select to trim the Media from either end or opt to continue uploading the video as is.
- Drag the anchor left or right, or on both ends, to trim. A preview of the trimmed video is displayed.
- Select Back if you decide to cancel the trimming process and return to the original video.
NOTE: After a video is trimmed, it is automatically saved. The old video isn’t altered in any way, but instead a new video file is created.
- Tap Next to continue with the upload process.
- Enter a title for the media (figure below). You can always change the title later (figure below). See for more information.
- Tap "Enter" on the keyboard to dismiss the screen. The Upload information page is displayed. The following figure:
- You may choose to upload the video later by selecting I will upload later (figure below). A copy of your media will remain in your device gallery or continue with the upload process .
- The upload progress bar is displayed.
- You can cancel the upload by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner of the media. A confirmation prompt is displayed. The following figure:
- Tap OK to cancel the upload or tap Cancel (the stop upload) to continue with the upload. The video should complete uploading. A message is displayed when the upload is complete. The following figure:
The uploaded video is now available for viewing depending on your publishing settings. You can easily find it in My Page in My Media.
You can add metadata or edit metadata for your media.
NOTE: You can change the publish settings from the Edit Entry screen.
To add or edit metadata
- Tap on the video you want to edit. Editing requires the appropriate privileges.
- Tap on the Edit (Pencil) icon on the top of your screen.
- Tap the pencil icon(s) near each field to open the relevant field to modify. Scroll to the bottom to display all available fields to modify.
- Tap OK for each field you modify.
- Tap Enter.
- Tap UPDATE to update the information on the server.
You can edit the following:
- Publishing Settings –tap on the screen to edit the settings. See Publishing Settings.
- Delete Media
- Tap on the Pencil (Edit) icon on the top of your screen.
- Scroll to the bottom to display all available fields to modify.
- Tap the Pencil icon near each field to open the relevant field to modify.
- Tap Enter.
- Enter a Description,
- tap OK , and then tap Enter.
- Start typing, and enter 3 letters for the autocomplete to suggest tags.
- Select a tag and tap OK or enter a new tag and tap OK.
To Publish Media
- Start from the Home page and then go to My Page.
Depending on your configuration, you may be required to login. The following figures:
- Select the video you want to publish from your media.
Note that the publishing settings are set to Private.
- Select the
Publishing Settings. Unlisted - copies the URL to a clipboad.
- The following screen is displayed. Click OK.
- Click Update.Public - visible on selected channels/categories.
The Public setting allows you to publish to channels or categories that you are permitted to publish to.After setting or modifying your publishing options and updating them The Publish Settings screen is displayed.There are two tabs in the Publishing Settings page: Publish in Channels and Publish in Categories. There's a blue underline to indicate which tab is active.
- Tap the Publish in Channels tab and select the channels you want to publish to.
or, tap the Publish in Categories tab and select the categories you want to publish to.
You can also use the Find in channels/categories fields to search for a channel or category.
Check the checkbox to select the channels/categories to publish to.
You can publish media to multiple channels and categories.
The counter indicates how many categories or channels are selected to publish to.
The counter is located in parenthesis next to the Publish option on your screen.
Tap Publish. Note the counter represents each publish selection (whether it be channel or category).
On your media page the status is changed to Public (figure below).
KMS GO “Get Inspired” is a fun way to discover media based on your available time.
You can access the Get Inspired section by clicking on the light bulb icon on the bottom navigation bar.
To discover videos
- Swipe to select the available time.
- Click Let’s Go.
- Swipe to dismiss suggested media or tap on it to view (figure below).
Your unique profile page on KMS GO is referred to as My Page. On your page, you can access all of your media and downloads and control your application settings. If you haven’t logged in, you can do it here as well.
To access My Page
- Tap on the profile icon on the top navigation bar from KMS GO Homepage.
To view your KMS profile settings (from My Page)
- Tap on the Settings icon in the upper right corner of My Page to access your Settings Page.
The Settings Page
The Settings Page includes the following;
- Application version
- Link to the open source documentation
- Play Media on Wifi Only - select your desired
- Download media on Wifi Only – select your desired setting.
Change Site Address
- You may have the option to change the site address, based on configuration created by your admin.
You may logout, and continue to browse in Guest mode.
In the App Setting section on your Android device you can specify whether KMS GO should use cellular data.