You can define and then set a default live transcoding profile. Live transcoding profiles are available for Kaltura live streaming broadcasts.
The options for live streaming transcoding profiles include Pass-Through and Cloud Transcode.
Pass-Through - Live
The Pass-through transcoding profile option, also known as Live, takes your content’s original source input flavor and passes it through the Kaltura system without any changes. This option uploads the source file, but does not transcode it; the source is the original file uploaded as is. Other flavors are not created. Pass – through is done on the client side. If you want multiple transcode values, you will need to encode the multiple flavors on the client with your local encoder.
Pass-through Transcoding Profile Features:
- Ideal for multiple (Standard Definition) SD concurrent sessions
- All transcoding is done on site (additional H/W may be required)
- Limited renditions
- Sufficient uplink bandwidth required
- Single or Multiple/Adaptive playback
Audio is adjusted to AAC format.
Cloud Transcode – Live +
The Cloud transcoding option, also known as Live+, takes the content’s original source input flavor and generates additional transcoding flavors that support different resolutions and formats. There are 3 pre-defined cloud transcode packages: SD, HD and HD+, each package offers different # of flavors, resolutions and bitrates.
The example below refers to the SD (default) package. For further information regarding the HD and HD+ packages, see Kaltura Live+/CloudTranscoding.
Cloud Transcoding Profile Features
- Ideal for HD sessions with large audiences
- Requires only a single HD feed
- Transcoding is done in the cloud
- Includes 4-6 renditions (including source) - based on selected package
- Standard uplink required
- Adaptive playback
- Support packages available
To edit a Transcoding Profile for live steaming
- Select the Settings tab and then select Transcoding Settings.
The Default Transcoding Flavors window is displayed showing the flavors you selected for the Default Transcoding profile.
- On the lower left corner, click Switch to Advanced Mode.
- Click Switch to Live Profiles Mode.
The Live Transcoding Profiles window is displayed.
Cloud transcoding is the default profile for live streaming. The cloud has several flavors that support different resolutions and formats. See Live Streaming Using Kaltura Live Streaming (HDS / HLS / DASH).
- Click a Transcoding Profile (Name) to edit or click Delete to remove a transcoding profile.
- Use the checkbox to select flavors to add or remove
- Enter the Default Metadata Settings Entry ID (Optional). This feature is useful if you want to set default metadata settings such as tags/categories to files you ingest. See Upload a Media File and Set Its Metadata. If your account is used and configured to ingest content from Remote Storage- select the remote storage name from the menu (Optional).
- Click Save Changes.