This article describes how to set up Kaltura Live Streaming using Open Broadcaster Software (OBS) Studio.
OBS Studio is open source software for video recording and live streaming. It is one of many software-based encoders that may be used to broadcast to Kaltura Live Streaming. OBS Studio may be downloaded here: https://obsproject.com/.
To set up OBS Studio for a Kaltura Live Entry
- Create a live stream entry in the KMC by following the article: Creating a Live Stream Entry in Kaltura Using the KMC.
- Open the live stream entry you just created and navigate to the Live Stream tab. The information you will be pulling from this area is the Primary URL (1) and the Stream name (2).
- Open OBS Studio, go to the File menu, and select Settings.
- Go to the Stream tab.
- Select Custom Streaming Server from the Stream Type dropdown.
- In OBS Studio's URL field, paste the Primary URL from step 2. In OBS Studio's Stream key field, paste the Stream name from step 2.
- Click OK when done.
- Set up your scenes and sources in OBS Studio by following the help documentation on Open Broadcaster Software's website:
Although, you are now broadcasting to Kaltura, you may need to do further refinements in OBS Studio to optimize your stream. There are various places within OBS Studio where this can be done, for example Settings > Output, Settings > Video, Settings > Audio, and others. For more information on optimization, please refer to OBS Studio's Help.
To learn more about the types of encoders you can use, see Which Encoders can I use with the Kaltura Live Streaming?