The Faculty Repository is a central gallery where faculty can browse, search, watch and use media shared by other faculty members. Kaltura Administrators can populate the Faculty Repository with curriculum and library content.
Contributing to the Faculty Repository
Faculty members can contribute media to the Faculty Repository for other faculty members to use. Finding the relevant media depends on how descriptive the metadata of the media is. There are additional metadata fields specific to the Faculty Repository to provide more information.
Metadata fields are configurable and may be different than what is displayed in the examples included here.
To be able to contribute to the Faculty Repository, you must first add additional metadata to the video. The metadata allows you to quickly search for the video when embedding the video as part of Kaltura Mashup item.
To add required Faculty Repository metadata to a video entry
- In My Media, click Edit next to the item you would like to contribute to the Faculty Repository. In the Details tab, click the ‘+’ next to “Click to add required metadata for shared repository”.
A window to add additional metadata is displayed.
- Fill in the additional metadata fields. You must fill all fields marked with an asterisk to publish to the Faculty Repository.
- Choose one or more fields of study that the media is relevant to.
- Click Save.
For more information on how to set up the field of study as categories in the KMC, refer to the Kaltura Video Building Block 5 for Blackboard Learn 9.x Setup Guide.
To contribute media to the Faculty Repository
- Go to My Institution > My Media.
- Check the items you would like to contribute to the Faculty Repository and click Actions > Publish.
- Click Published and under Published in Gallery check Shared Repository.
- Click Save.
- A notification is displayed indicating the entry was successfully contributed to the Faculty Repository.
Using the Faculty Repository
The Faculty Repository is a module accessed from the My Institution page.
To add the Faculty Repository module to the My Institution page
- Go to the My Institution tab and click Add Module.
- Click Other on the left menu. The Faculty Repository module is displayed on the right menu.
- Click Add. The module is added to the My Institution page.
In the Faculty Repository you can search and browse media, view media and add the media to your course Gallery. Media from the Faculty Repository may also be added to other tools and content via the Mashup Tool.
To add media from the Faculty Repository to your course
- Go to the Courses tab > Course Tools> Media Gallery. In your course’s Media Gallery, click the Add Media button and select Shared Repository. The list of entries in the Faculty Repository appears.
- Check one or more of the items, and click Publish. The Media from the Faculty Repository is published to the course.