What is Caliper?
IMS Global has developed a standard that allows you to collect analytics from different locations into one repository, in most cases the LMS. To read more about Caliper, visit the IMS global page.
Sending KAF Analytics to the LMS via Caliper
The Caliper module is available in the KAF Administration Page that allows administrators to send KAF analytics in the Caliper standard. Please reach out to Kaltura Customer Care or your CSM to request that the Caliper module be enabled in your KAF Administration Page.
After the Caliper Module is enabled, the following three fields are preset and designed to work out of the box with the LMS’s LTI workflows:
LTI attribute that contains the URL of the Caliper Access Service on the Tool Consumer.
LTI attribute that contains Federated Session ID value.
Set the authorization scheme that will be set in the value of the Authorization header. The default is 'no-scheme’, which means that the header value is the API key received from the Caliper Profile Service.
Not all LMSs support the collection or display of Caliper metadata.
Sending the Caliper Analytics to an LRS
Kaltura supports the ability to send the Caliper data to a LRS (Learning Record Store) directly instead of sending the data to the LMS.
When you want to use Caliper, your LMS does not provide Caliper information dynamically in the LTI launch (in the form of custom_caliper_service_url parameter). You can configure the Caliper Module in KAF to send Caliper events to a static Caliper endpoint in your LRS using a one-time API key.
To do so, set the ‘directCaliperIntegrationEnable’ to “YES” to send the metadata directly to an LRS and provide values for the following 3 fields:
The URL in your LRS that accepts Caliper.
API Key to use when sending Caliper events to the LRS.
Sensor ID to set in the Caliper events, if needed.
Please contact your LRS representative and ask them to provide you with the required information.
Does the Caliper Module work with Kaltura MediaSpace?
Capturing Caliper Events in the Kaltura Player
Kaltura captures the following events that occur in the Kaltura Player as part of the Caliper integration:
- Play – When the user selects play and the player starts.
- Pause – When the user pauses the video.
- Resume – When the user resumes the playback.
- End – When the user reaches the end of the video
- Still Watching (this is a custom event) - Captures the percentage watched. The values are 25/50/75% quarters of the video. The value is sent on the "kaf:watch_percentage" extension in the Caliper message. The "kaf:watch_percentage" extension is also sent in the "End" action/event with the value of 100.
In addition,the following information is sent for each event:
- User ID
- Context ID
- Creation date of the entry
- Modified date of the entry
- Date of the event
- Video duration
- For the Pause event: The time in the video that the Pause occurred (in Caliper terminology - Media Location).
- For the Resume event: The time in the video that the Resume occurred (in Caliper terminology - Media Location).
Capturing Caliper Events for Video Quizzes
Quiz events are sent in addition to player events. The Caliper module may be used in conjunction with the Quiz module.
Kaltura captures the following events that occur in Video Quizzes as part of the Caliper integration:
- Event: Quiz started
- By which user?
- Quiz type
- The number of attempts users are allowed on this quiz
- Is scrubbing allowed? Yes or No
- How is the score being calculated? Type
- Is the user allowed to change answers? Yes or No
- Quiz creator
- Event: Question X answered with answer Y (on attempt Z)
- Type of question
- Index in the total of all questions
- Question text
- Answer Y (In the case of a Reflection point; "passed")
- Attempt Z - What attempt is this out of the total number of attempts?
- Event: Quiz submitted
- Quiz results
- Event: Quiz retake (another attempt was taken)