Installing the Kaltura Video Package 4.1 for Moodle 3.x
This document details the steps required to install the Kaltura Video Package 4.1 for Moodle 3.0 and later. If you are upgrading from Kaltura Video Package 3.0, follow the instructions in the Kaltura Video Package 4.1 for Moodle 3.x Upgrade Guide.
- Installation Background
- Installation Process
- Set Up the Filter Plug-in
- Adding the Atto Text Editor
- My Media
- Boost Theme Support
- Adding a New Block
- A Kaltura account:
- Partner ID (“pid”), e.g.,
- Admin secret, e.g.,
- A Kaltura Application Framework (KAF) instance URL, e.g., https://12345.kaf.kaltura.com
- Minimum Moodle version 3.x
- Local plug-in used to:
- Store configuration data and the Kaltura PHP client library (local/kaltura)
- Display the user's My Media repository (local/mymedia)
- Video assignment module, equivalent to the video assignment type for the Kaltura plug-in for Moodle 3.x
- Video resource module, equivalent to the video resource type for the Kaltura plug-in for Moodle 3.x
- Filter plug-in, used to display Kaltura video embed inside rich-text markups
To install the Kaltura Video Package 4.1
- Download the latest Kaltura Video Package to your Moodle root directory from here.
- Unzip the Kaltura Video Package.
- Browse to the Moodle home screen and click Continue to install the Kaltura Video Package.
Installation is processed. When finished, the Continue button is displayed.
- Fill in the relevant information and click Continue.
- Click 'Save changes'.
- Verify that the Kaltura credentials were entered correctly by clicking on 'Plug-ins' > 'Local Plug-ins' > ‘Kaltura Package Libraries'. Be certain that 'Successfully logged in with credentials' is displayed under the Connection status heading.
To set up the filter plug in
- After the installation is complete, navigate to Plug-ins à Filters àManage Filters. Enable the Kaltura Media filter and click the Settings link.
- Ensure that Embed Kaltura Video Links is checked. If not, check it.
- Click Save.
To add the Kaltura embed button to the Atto text editor (Moodle 3.x)
- Login as administrator.
- Go to Site administration à Plugins à Text editors à Atto HTML editor à Atto toolbar settings.
- Under Toolbar config, add “kalturamedia”to any of the button groups. For example:
The “Embed Kaltura Video” is added to the Atto editor.
No setup is required for My Media. Users can find the link to My Media under the My Home menu.
The Boost theme may not have the ‘Navigation’ tab. The Kaltura Media Gallery will be available in other locations.
You can determine where to place the Kaltura Media Gallery link. The link me either be in one of the following locations:
- Navigation Block
- Course setting menu.
To add the link to Kaltura Media Gallery
- Login as administrator.
- Go to Site administration à Plugins à Local Plugins and select Kaltura Media Gallery.
- Select where you want the Kaltura Media Gallery link to display.
Select Navigation block for the link to appear on the left Navigation block.
Course setting menu
Select Couse settings for the link to appear on the course Admin settings menu:
The default display is in the Navigation block.
If you have permissions to add blocks to a course, you can add the Kaltura Media Gallery Block. The link to the Kaltura Media Gallery will be added to the course side pane.
To add the Kaltura Media Gallery block
- Navigate to the site administration.
- Click Blocks editing on.
- Navigate to a course, and locate the Add a block button.
- Under the list of blocks, choose the Kaltura Media Gallery.
The results after adding the Kaltura Media Gallery block are as follows: