This guide describes how to deploy and configure the Kaltura Video Building Block for Blackboard and is intended for Blackboard administrators.
- Installation Requirements
- Migrating from Earlier Versions of Kaltura Video Building Block
- Post Installation and Migration Tasks
The Kaltura Video Building Block for Blackboard Learn adds several modules and course tools to your Blackboard Learn environment.
- A Kaltura account:
- Partner id (“pid”), e.g., 12345678
- Admin secret, e.g., f79359d3227f45be73c181489888afc5
- A Kaltura Application Framework instance URL, for example, 12345678.kaf.kaltura.com
- A Blackboard "Community Engagement Edition" License is required to upgrade/install Kaltura's KAF based building block.
- The Kaltura Building Block installation file (*.war file).
To obtain a KAF instance URL or the installation file, please contact your Kaltura representative.
Please refer to the Blackboard Website on how to configure an external tool on your Blackboard Learn environment.
Building Block Configuration
After you upload the Kaltura Video Building Block for Blackboard Learn, set up the system settings.
To set up the system settings for the Kaltura Video Building Block
- Log in to Blackboard Learn as System Administrator.
- Go to System Admin à Building Blocks à Installed Tools à Kaltura Integration à Settings
The Kaltura Configuration page is displayed.
In the Kaltura configuration page you:
- Configure the Kaltura Server Connection. This step is mandatory when installing or upgrading the Kaltura Video Building Block.
- Configure the common settings of the Kaltura Building Block.
- Configure the LTI Role Mapping of the Kaltura Building with the Blackboard KAF instance.
- After you complete these tasks, perform the Post Installation and Migration Tasks.
For the first installation or upgrade of the Kaltura Video Building Block for Blackboard Learn, you will need to provide initial configuration settings to connect the Building Block with the KAF endpoint. Failing to do so prevents the Kaltura Building Block from working.
To configure the connection to the Kaltura server (KAF)
- In the Kaltura Configuration page, click on Kaltura Server Connection Configuration.
The Configure Kaltura page opens.
- Enter the URL to your KAF instance under End Point.
Note: The End Point URL must be HTTPS, for example, https://123456.kaf.kaltura.com. The installation will not work without HTTPS.
- Enter the admin secret of your Kaltura account under Admin Secret.
- If debug logs are required, check Enable debug logging.
- Click Submit.
With the move to KAF, the majority of the Kaltura Building Block configuration is available in the KAF Admin Console. Please refer to the Kaltura Video Building Block 5 for Blackboard Learn 9.x Setup Guide for configuration details.
To configure common settings of the Kaltura Video Building Block
- In the Kaltura Configuration page, click on Kaltura Video Building Block Configuration.
The Configure Kaltura page opens.
- Check Show deep link url to enable deep link url for content embed via a Kaltura Mashup item.
- Under Institution player embed code, paste the embed code of the playlist to be displayed in the New On Campus module on the Institution page.
Note: To add the New On Campus to the My Institution page, go to My Institution > Add Module and add the New on Campus module to your institution's home.
- Check “Don’t copy students’ media from the Course Gallery when copying course”, to prevent students’ content from being copied when copying a course in Blackboard Learn.
- Click Submit
Role mapping configuration is described in detail in the Kaltura Video Building Block 5 for Blackboard Learn 9.x Setup Guide and is critical for properly setting up the integration.
Kaltura recommends using the latest version of the Kaltura Video Building Block. To migrate from Kaltura Video Building Block version before 4.18 or below, please contact your Account Manager or Project Manager.
Migrating from Kaltura Video Building Block Version 4 to 5
Kaltura Video Building Block versions 5 uses a different data structure than previous versions. The change allows for several advanced capabilities. To preserve Kaltura-related properties of previous videos, run a one-time migration process from version 4 to version 5.
To migrate from version 4 to version 5
- Login as administrator and go to System Admin>Building Blocks>Installed Tools> and select Kaltura Integration.
- Click the right arrow and select Uninstall from the dropdown.
- Delete the current (previous) Building Block.
- Select Upload Building Blocks.
- Browse to the new Building Block Package location and click Submit to upload the new Building Block and activate it.
The new Kaltura Building Block (with the new build number) is displayed in the System Admin tab > Kaltura Integration.
- Click the Right arrow near Kaltura Integration and select ‘Settings’.
The Kaltura Configuration window is displayed.
- Select Kaltura Server Connection Configuration.
- Enter the End Point URL (must be HTTPS) and the Admin Secret. The Admin Secret is found in the KMC > Integration Settings, and click Submit.
- Press ‘Migrate older Kaltura videos to the new data structure’ link.
Wait until the process finishes (there will be a confirmation message indicating the migration completed successfully and the amount of courses that were migrated). Depending on the amount of courses that used Kaltura and the amount of videos, the migration process may take up to a couple of hours.
Before you use the Kaltura Video Building Block for Blackboard Learn, you must be certain that the Kaltura Integration Tools are set.
To enable the Kaltura Integration Tool
- Go to the System Admin tab > Tools
- Search for Kaltura Integration.
- Be certain that all of the system tools are turned ON. In the Kaltura Integration section.