The 'video360' plugin has been added to the Kaltura v2 Player. The Kaltura Player supports 360° video in both desktop and mobile browsers for any kind of motion - mouse, touch, device motion and keyboard keys.
360° videos can only be viewed when the video360 plugin is enabled.
Immersive videos, (also known as 360 videos, 360 degree videos or spherical videos), are video recordings of a real-world panorama, where the view in every direction is recorded at the same time, shot using an omnidirectional camera or a collection of cameras.
Use cases for 360 are varied, and include university lectures, conferences, sports events and more.
Kaltura provides the following infrastructure to upload and play 360 videos on both web and mobile:
- Ingest your asset as usual, via either the KMC or APIs.
- Tag the entry “360”. Tagging the entry is required as the player will only enable 360 navigation on entries that are tagged "360". For more information about tagging entries see How to add or remove tags to or from a KMC entry?
H264 CODEC and up to 4K resolution are supported.
The Kaltura Player will play inband multi-audio tracks based on the underlying delivery format.
Kaltura supports navigation using the mouse or keyboard (using WASD keys) as well as touch on mobile devices.
- Chrome, Safari, Edge, IE11 on Windows 8 and up
- Firefox on Windows 8.1 and up
- Chrome on Android 4.3 and up
- Chrome on Mac 10.11
Due to a limitation by Apple, the plugin is currently disabled for Safari on MAC and Chrome/Safari on mobile iOS Devices. On those browsers, the video will be shown as a regular video.
- Using the 360 plugin on Safari, IE11 and Microsoft Edge require configuring CORS header. If you are using Kaltura’s Backend, we have already configured this for you. If you are using remote storage, please contact your CDN provider to configure CORS headers.
To enable the video360° plugin in the Kaltura v2 Player
- In the KMC select the Universal Studio.
- Select a player from your player list.
- Click on the Plugins icon and check the 360 videos checkbox.
- Save the Player Settings.
- Choose a video entry that is tagged as 360. For more information about tagging entries see How to add or remove tags to or from a KMC entry?
The following is an example of a 360 video.