Creating and Working with Kaltura Video Quiz
This guide describes how to use Kaltura’s Video Quiz (VQ) feature in Kaltura’s systems. Video Quiz integrates and works seamlessly with Kaltura MediaSpace (KMS) and all Kaltura Application Framework (KAF) based applications, such as different Learning Management Systems (LMSs) and Social Business Software (SBSs). The VQ feature is based on the Kaltura Player version 2.0.
Adding Interactivity to Media
Adding Video Quiz to media increases the power of educational and training videos by embedding questions directly into the video. Kaltura’s VQ adds an effective way of imparting information by allowing the viewer to engage directly with the video. The quiz creator can also monitor the video’s impact. The VQ feature increases engagement, enables effectivity measurement, and provides a new way to improve learning outcomes.
Features and Options
Video quizzes are created and edited using the Kaltura Video Editing Tools Quiz Creator. The Quiz Creator enables you to create an unlimited number of multiple choice questions with 2-4 optional answers per question. The Kaltura Video Editing Tools Quiz Editor allows configuration of supportive learning tools that can include options that allow the user to download the questions before taking the quiz, request hints regarding quiz question answers, receive explanations regarding correct or incorrect answers, skip questions and return later to answer them.
Users can watch media segments multiple times in preparation for answering questions; and receive feedback, correct answers, and in-depth explanations when completing questions.
How Does Video Quiz Work?
Through its easy-to-use interface, the Kaltura Video Editing Tools Quiz Creator can seamlessly embed multiple choice questions at any point in a video. As users watch the video, each question appears at its chosen point; the video continues after the user answers the question. Flexible settings allow quiz creators to choose whether to allow users to repeat sections, skip questions, revise answers, receive hints, and discover the correct answers. Practically, VQ increases engagement, tests knowledge and retention, and gathers media effectiveness data.
On the quiz creator’s side, VQ integrates seamlessly as part of Kaltura’s standalone applications like MediaSpace or Kaltura integrated applications on windows and Mac platforms. It can be used with the customer’s LMS or SBS such as Blackboard, Canvas, Moodle, Brightspace, Sakai, SharePoint 2013, Jive, and IBM Connections.
On the playback side, VQ is part of Kaltura player and is supported by the player wherever media quizzes are embedded and presented. Viewing and use is supported on any digital device.
The following list provides a few examples of VQ use cases:
- VQ enables the quiz creator to add questions or polls to lectures, training videos, marketing materials, and other media. This enables the creator to increase audience engagement with the media content, and reduce user drop-out rates.
- VQ enables the quiz creator to link learning materials directly to test questions so that users received immediate feedback about whether or not they understood the information presented.
- The VQ customer can create a lightweight certification system that provides an easy way to present both course material and testing.
- VQ enables Kaltura customers to conduct market research, and collect feedback or poll results inside the media used to present information or choices.
Filtering Media that have Quizzes
To display media that have quizzes configured
- Go to My Media Page and click Filters.
- Check Quiz.
All media that include quizzes is displayed on the My Media page.
A special icon on the video thumbnail, and on the entry page, is displayed for videos that have quizzes configured.
Kaltura Video Editing Tools provide quiz creators a simple way to create and edit online quizzes custom-tailored to the needs of their users. The Quiz Tab in the Video Editing Tools replaces the previous method of creating quizzes in KMS an KAF applications.
To create/edit a quiz
Use the Kaltura Video Editing Tools - Quiz Tab to create and edit Video Quizzes.
The following points cover the best practices, as recommended by Kaltura for quiz creators:
- Be sure to shuffle your answers.
- All incorrect answer options should be plausible.
- It is not recommended to use "all of the above" and "none of the above" as wrong-answer options.
- Make sure the question is meaningful by itself and represents a definite problem.
- Keep answer lengths similar.
- Try not to create trick questions, but rather allow for constructive learning.
- Use only one correct answer and make sure that it is clear why the others are not the correct options.
- It is recommended to put the last question at the end of the video to keep the user engaged through the entire subject.
See How to Take a Quiz.
How to View Quiz Reports and Analytics
The VQ feature enables quiz creators/media owners and co-editors to view analytics about the quiz and the users that have submitted them. The Userreports module must be enabled in KMS or in your KAF instance to view VQ analytics.
To access the analytics reports
- Select Analytics from the Actions drop down menu.
The following sections of this article describe how you, the quiz owner, can view analytics for quizzes.
To view the average score for all users
- In the General Metrics Average Score field, you can view the average score of all the users that have taken the quiz until now. Use the drop down menu to set the time period for the analytics information.
To view a specific user's quiz results
To view how specific users scored on the quiz, and how many times they took the quiz, click the Quiz Users tab.
A report listing all users is displayed with a breakdown for the following values for each user.
User Name - click to expand for Additional Details.
Attempts - related to the Multiple Attempts feature. See Multiple Attempts.
If the Multiple Attempts field is not enabled by your administrator for quizzes, you will always see “Attempt”: 1/1
Final Score - displays the final grade for each user.
If Multiple Attempts is not enabled on the quiz, the “Final Score” will be displayed as the user's final score.
Actions - You can remove a user’s last attempt. When you remove the last attempt, the user’s last submission is removed and the user will be allowed to take the quiz again.
Clear all attempts will remove the user’s attempts completely and allow the user to take the quiz again.
To remove submissions - click on the Trash can.
A warning message is displayed:
Click on a User Name. The table expands and displays the Last Attempt's Results for the user (even if final score is calculated based on first or highest score for example).
- Click Export to CSV file or Printable Version to export or print the data in this report or use the representative icons to do so.
- Alternatively, click on the Dashboard to view this report.
View Answers to Specific Questions
To view answers to specific questions
- Click Quiz Questions.
A report with all questions is shown with a breakdown of how each user answered it.
When you create an Open Question for your users, (quiz takers) they may add free text as their answer. After the quiz is submitted, a quiz owner can review at the written response and reply with a note to the quiz taker.
In the KMS entry Analytics for quiz Questions, the quiz owner can look at the answers for each user. Open answers may be reviewed and addressed by the quiz owner.
The quiz owner can add a note below each open answer for reviewing later.
The ability to add a note is available for open questions only.
Enter text and click Add Note.
- Edit or delete the note if needed.
- Click Export to CSV file or Printable Version to export or print the data in this report.
- Alternatively, click on the Dashboard to view the report.