OBS Studio and Kaltura Live Streaming
This article describes how to set up Kaltura Live Streaming using Open Broadcaster Software (OBS) Studio.
OBS Studio is open source software for video recording and live streaming. IThe OBS Studio live encoder s one of many software-based encoders that may be used to broadcast to Kaltura Live Streaming. OBS Studio may be downloaded here.
To set up the live stream encoder for a Kaltura Live entry
- Create a Live Stream entry in the KMC by following the article: Creating a Live Stream Entry in Kaltura Using the KMC.
- After you create your live stream entry, open that entry and navigate to the Live Stream tab. The information you will be pulling from this area is the Primary URL and the Stream name .
- Open OBS Studio, go to the File menu and select Settings.
- Go to the Stream tab.
- Select Custom Streaming Server from the Stream Type drop down.
- In OBS Studio's URL field, paste the Primary URL from step 2. In OBS Studio's Stream key field, paste the Stream name from step 2.
- Click OK when done.
- Set up your scenes and sources in OBS Studio by following the help documentation on Open Broadcaster Software's website:
After you set up your scene, and sources you are now ready to live stream to Kaltura.
- In the Controls section, click Start Streaming. Your live stream will begin broadcasting to Kaltura.
- Click Stop Streaming to end your live broadcast.
Although, you are now broadcasting to Kaltura, you may need to do further refinements in the OBS Studio to optimize your stream. There are various places within OBS Studio where this can be done, for example Settings > Output, Settings > Video, Settings > Audio, and others. For more information on stream optimization, please refer to OBS Studio's Help.